Saturday, October 1, 2011

October 1, 2011
I just hovered over a button and threw my dawning blog into a language with beautiful, undiscipherable characters.  Magyar?  It took awhile to get back to plain old English.  Characters in most languages are so pleasing.  Once in a workshop I created twenty five new characters on huge sheets of brown manilla paper. It was a workshop run by a friend to give adults a second chance at kindergarten.  There never was enough of it  she believed.  There was a psychiatrist there, I remember, who corraled a whole pile of wooden blocks on a large table, and announced, "These are all mine!" A man who was an ex priest built a chapel out of enormous tubes of cardboard.  A woman who sat blocked through most of the day finally wound huge balls of multicolored yarn; another woman painted all over her clothes.  The business of learning to add and subtract and read and write, it seems causes us to lose all of this too quickly. .   

What a joy to be writing again.  For the past three years after my lovely month at the Millay Colony where I wrote my final drawer novel...six is enough, I thought.  Until I publish one, no more already!  So I've been typing, polishing, correcting, adding bits... 
     "Typing is not writing,"  Truman Capote supposedly said. 

No comments:

Post a Comment